Butter Beans with Smoked Turkey
Serves 4 to 6
2 cups of Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice
1 pound of smoked turkey necks
3 tablespoons of Goya Adobo (all purpose seasoning)
2 tablespoons of Spice World
2 tablespoons of Texas Pete Hot Sauce
2 tablespoons of Mrs. Dash (original seasoning blend)
1 ½ Spanish onion – diced into medium pieces
Less than a half of celery stalk chopped into very small pieces
2 bags of Frozen Butter Beans
1 qt. stick of butter
1. Add 4 cups of water and 1 qt. stick of butter to cooking pot – add rice to pot and turn up heat up to high. When rice begins to boil – immediately reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Rinse off turkey necks under cold running water for several minutes, rub meat in between rinsing – add 8 cups of water to large cooking pot, add turkey necks to pot, turn stovetop heat to high and continue to cook at this temperature for 1 hour.
3. After 1 hour add all ingredients to cooking pot, reduce heat to medium and cook for an additional 1 hour or until butter beans are tender. Turkey Necks should be tender to the point of meat falling off the bone. In between cooking make sure to skim off excess grease to ensure no grease remains.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of Wild Rice to bowl and top off with a few shakes of Texas Pete Hot Sauce along with desired amount of Butter Beans and serve immediately.
5. All through this recipe we have been assuming that you are using a conventional stove to make your rice, however if you are one of those richer and better off people, then chances are you have a Zojirushi rice cooker in which case you can make your turkey and rice inside that machine instead of using your stove. This will probably make it taste much better and bring in the flavors of all the sauce around it.